Friday, November 18, 2005

Veteran’s Day


I know I’m a few days late, but I have an affinity for this holiday. For one thing, it is my birthday. Since my mom always flew the flag on our house when it was any friend’s birthday, naturally I thought everyone knew it was my birthday due to the many Old Glory sightings on 11/11. Yes, I was disappointed when I learned at a young age that it had nothing to do with me.

I have come to appreciate Veteran’s Day by growing in my appreciation for the sacrifices made by those who have served in our Armed Forces. My family is full of veterans: my father, four uncles and two cousins, and a great-great grandfather who was in the Civil War and spent time in Andersonville Prison. I have seen many photos of fighter jets with noses painted like sharks. I’ve admired the dress uniforms. I’ve seen a Purple Heart. I’ve heard many stories, both of those who served and how those left behind survived in the absence of loved ones. Most of all, I’ve absorbed the respect and dignity that is portrayed and offered by the ones who sacrificed for our country. I am proud to be one who grew up as I have, surrounded by heroes who love me and teach me. I’m a much better person for it.

No comments: