Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Day 63 of 365 Day Experiment -- March 4

Long Shadows

We’ve had sun consistently this week but it is still cold outside. At least we seem to be taking steps in the right direction. Come on, Spring – break through!

I have never been a fan of the author Anne Rice. I don’t consider vampires to be my genre of choice. However, I am intrigued by the recent news of her coming to faith in Christ. Today in Books & Culture magazine, I read a review of Anne’s new book, “Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession.” It looks intriguing – has anybody read it? Here’s what I learned about Anne:



  • Her daughter died of leukemia at age five

  • She went through a spell of heavy drinking

  • Her education was formulated at all-girls Catholic schools

  • She was named “Howard Allen” because her father wanted a son; she insisted on being called Anne but suffered gender identity issues

  • She abandoned her faith and “poured out the darkness and despair of an atheist” into 21 books, starting with “Interview With A Vampire”

  • While roaming the churches and cathedrals of Europe to research her vampire novels, she became convinced she was being pursued by something. “I was Christ haunted,” she says.

  • In 2002, she finally got the message, “Write for God.”

    I think I might like to read her latest book. Any other takers?

-- I'm thankful for interesting stories of conversion from unlikely sources

No comments: