Thursday, November 06, 2008

An Historic Day

No matter what your preference was in the voting booth, the decision has been made about our next leader and our country now moves forward. Some are fearful and some hopeful; all feelings are valid.

I know that I cannot fully appreciate the euphoria of the African American community in the election of a black president. I was moved by the reflections of the elderly black senators and news commentators, who have gone from participation in the civil rights movement as young men to seeing a biracial man be elected president of the United States in their senior years. I’ll never be able to totally feel what they feel because I am a white person, but I want to value the reality as much as possible. I know we have just entered an unprecedented era… may I take it all in as much as I can.

No comments: